Finding yourself

Processed with VSCO with a6 preset
If you had told me 4 years ago I would be a fashion blogger, pursuing a life as a full time life style blogger, I never would have believed it. Four years ago,  I was working at a dermatology lab while studying for the MCAT on my year off after just graduating with my biology degree. Deep down, I knew that medical school wasn’t for me. I’d known since my junior year but how was I going to just stop what I had thought was going to be my future ever since I was 7? How was I going to tell my friends; my mother, my family, who had put me through college? How was I going to tell myself? I was scared to face facts because it would force me to ask myself another really hard question…what was I going to do?

The conversation wasn’t easy. I started with my mother. I figured she would be the most disappointed because as long as I can remember this had been her dream for me as much as it had been my dream for myself. She also went into a medical field and this was one of the areas we bonded closely in. Going to any African parent and telling them you don’t want to pursue medicine, engineering or law is hard enough, but my mother? LOL that brought it to a whole other level of difficult (I can expand on that later). It was painful, I won’t lie.  But as you can see I’m still alive. She’s still alive. I didn’t die (even though I thought I was going to), and in the end she realized this was a better road for me to travel. Don’t get me wrong, it has taken a painfully long time to get to this point, but we’re there and continue to move forward with this.

I won’t say I have ‘arrived’, I’m still on my journey but I have faith that God is ordering my steps. For a few years after I realized what I didn’t want, I had to struggle to find what I did, and in that time, I felt so lost. Even now, I’m still trying to find what my purpose in life is but I took the plunge, and continue to dive into new things and projects every day. I decided what I didn’t want my life to be and started on a path to figuring it out and each day I continue.

So, wherever you are in life, if its not where you want to be, START NOW. Begin taking the steps to where you want to be. If you don’t 5 years down the line you’ll wish you did. Just like me, you’re one decision away from changing your life.

Processed with VSCO with a6 preset

Processed with VSCO with a6 preset

Processed with VSCO with a6 preset

img_0919

24 Comments

1. Olamide
    September 9, 2016 / 8:29 pm

Life is a journey. Pursue it making your own roads, pave your own way and you’ll be surprised by all the things you’ll discover. Proud of who you’ve become!

2. Yama
    September 9, 2016 / 8:38 pm

Such a beautiful message. There is no journey better than one of purpose. You are effortlessly authentic and that is your power. Great things will continue to happen when you put God first and hard work after. So very proud of the woman you’ve become.

3. G man
    September 9, 2016 / 8:41 pm

Wow! You really inspire me Kiitana. I think I’m going to go for a career change myself because of this inspiring postKeep inspiring people. Hopefully I get to meet you someday

• kiitan
      September 10, 2016 / 4:04 pm

Thank you! Yes! Get it 🙂

4. Sugi
    September 9, 2016 / 10:02 pm

Oh my God, you couldn’t have put it better. I am going through the exact same thing. I recently decided not to go to medical school, I had even registered for the MCAT. But as they say when you know, you know. Now I’m happily pursuing what I’m interested in. When there’s hope there’s life.

• kiitan
      September 10, 2016 / 4:04 pm

I 100% agree! I’m so happy you decided to do exactly what it is you wanted. Loving what you do makes all the difference.

• Sugi
        September 11, 2016 / 2:39 am

Aww, you replied. Thanks girl!

5. Tara
    October 3, 2016 / 7:13 pm

You’ve come a long way, my friend! I’m so proud of you! Your vlog is definitely an inspiration! ‘Purpose’ has been a repetitive message around me, which means I need to take heed!

6. Esther
    October 10, 2016 / 1:33 pm

Aww..pretty pretty

7. Esther
    October 10, 2016 / 1:34 pm

Hmn..I totally understand eat it feels like wen u tell an African parent u don’t wanna study medicine.. The path to self discovery never did run.smooth hunny

8. Kim
    October 24, 2016 / 8:32 pm

Just found your blog and this message was inspiring.. God’s continued success to you Kiitana

• kiitan
      November 7, 2016 / 1:44 pm

Thank you so much! I can’t tell you how much it means to me

9. Tuke
    October 24, 2016 / 10:58 pm

Love the words of this post.
    I had no idea you had a Blog too.
    Thought it was just youtube and Instagram.
    Whoop, I’m glad I get to understand your journey better through your Blog and I’m intrigued to see where this path will lead you.

Tuke’s Quest

• kiitan
      November 7, 2016 / 1:45 pm

Thank you! and yes, i’m definitely going to try to share my story on my other social media platforms. Thank you for finding my blog!

10. November 7, 2016 / 1:40 pm

So happy that you found yourself. I am in the same journey and though I am doing what I love on the side i.e. Blogging on hair and vlogging (www.justmargie.com) I can’t wait to finish my law degree and just pursue my dreams fulltime and head on! Lovely outfit

• kiitan
      November 7, 2016 / 1:45 pm

Gonna check yours out too! Thank you for sharing and can’t wait to see where your journey takes you!

11. November 23, 2016 / 10:47 am

Wow, I’m purely happy that you are have been consistent to finding yourself. That’s the beauty of life. I still at the early stage of finding myself.

Lol, I told “mama” some few day back that after graduating next year I’ll like to go fully into blogging and she still doesn’t even understand why. Reading this post, I’ve been able to drag a whole lot of energy to finding my self.

Thanks

12. December 1, 2016 / 6:06 pm

I am so inspired. I have had a lot of people telling me what they think I should be doing and have not been happy with it.
    When I do what I love on the side- it is like I’m “cheating” on what now feels like obligations. Thank you for reminding me.

13. arion
    January 19, 2017 / 6:23 pm

I love this story!Thank you so much for inspiring me through this post. I am currently an upcoming blogger myself. Hopefully we can exchange some words of advice and encouragement real soon. Keep following your dreams !!

14. Rianna
    April 25, 2017 / 12:51 pm

I resonated with this so much! Thank you for sharing your story. Wishing you all the success you deserve xo

15. April 29, 2017 / 12:49 pm

Thank you Kiitana for sharing your personal experience with all of us. I think at some point, we all face this kind of situation. Choosing what we really want to do in life OR what family, friends, people and even society want us to do or be ! After reading your article, the lesson I got from is : “take the courage to embrace what we really want in life, believe in it and make people believe in it too” !
    Thanks for your sharing and love you Kiitana 🙂 ! Sorry for my English, I am French so I am trying my best 😛

16. Jade
    May 23, 2017 / 10:17 pm

Hello, was wondering what elementary school you went to while in Nigeria. You look like a class mate of mine

• kiitan
      June 8, 2017 / 8:40 pm

Hi! I went to St. Gloria’s in Ikeja and then I went to May Day College in Surulere for Secondary school! you?